HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE
RATING: 9.9 of 10.0
OVERVIEW: Designed to teach you to improve your overall happiness by improving your ability to communicate.
It is extremely appropriate to my personal life to start my Book Reviews blog with a book by Dale Carnegie. Dale Carnegie is the son of the famous industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie may possibly have been the wealthiest man to ever live.
I read the book “How to Win Friends and Influence People” last year. This book opened my eyes to the importance of relationships and its role in a successful business, social, and family life. I rank Carnegie’s book one step below canonized scripture. If I had the influence, I would recommend this reading to every businessperson, high school student, and individual whose success relies on relationships.
I beg you to read this book over and over throughout your life. I also encourage you to share it with as many people as you can. This book, if applied appropriately, could be one of the best gifts you ever offer.
***”You can never win an argument.”
· Why? Because “one convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.”
“Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.”
· Until you accept the fact that everyone has qualities that you need to learn, you will never have the humility sufficient to be a continual learner.
Persuasion: the ability to drive an eager desire.
· The art of storytelling will get you far in life
A dog is the perfect example of a friend. The only animal that makes a living by being your friend
· How do dogs do that?
Become genuinely interested in others and then you will gain friends
· If you want to end a conversation, strictly talk about yourself
· Encourage others to talk about themselves
· Use open ended questions to help people talk about themselves
“A smile costs nothing but enriches those who receive it”
· “People are as happy as they make their minds up to be” President Abraham Lincoln
***WE LOVE TO HEAR OUR NAMES
· I can’t stress how much power comes in hearing your name
· I recommend using someone’s name 3 times the when you’re first introduced to someone
· Never avoid a chance to use someone’s name
Do you talk to customers on the phone? Smile when you talk to them.
· It is proven that smiling on the phone will improve the quality of a call
· People can feel your happy when you smile
· Try being upset and smiling at the same time
Admit you’re wrong emphatically
· Express slowly and clearly that you’re wrong
· Admit your mistakes before anyone else can
*Influencing People and Winning Friends requires “Yes, yes, yes”
· When trying to convince or make a sale, first, ask 3 questions that you know they’ll say ‘YES’ to.
· Avoid all answers that will result in a ‘no’
· When you’re on a streak of saying ‘yes’ you don’t want to stop
*Let others see their irrational behavior by letting them talk and talk
· This principle is so true, no one can sound smart if you let them talk long enough
A good teacher teaches you and a great teacher helps you teach yourself
· Anytime I learn something on my own I feel more desire to remember and follow it
You must lather a man before you shave him
· Translation: before you seek to criticize, seek to empathize.
Please respond, if you’ve read the book or want to share your thoughts, insights, and anything that stands out to you.